This video (link given below) from Shankar IAS talks about the points to be considered before selecting an optional.
Do not select an optional because:
- your friends have chosen a particular optional
- a coaching institute teaches a particular optional
- because it will help in GS/Essay
- because it will help in administration after your selection
Narrow down to two optionals based on your individual interests and inclinations.
- go through basic books
- previous years’ questions
- feedback and guidance available
Final decision on optional has to be YOURS. It is you who has to spend a year or two with the subject, not a coaching institute or senior or friend on your behalf!